Monday, June 4, 2012
42 days of hospital bedrest
I have never enjoyed rainy days as much as I have since entering the hospital. I find the sound of the rain hitting my hospital window comforting. It feels like I'm not missing anything. That the weather will determine my mood for the day and unlike when I am home, rain makes me happy. Laying in bed is what you do on dreary days isn't it?
Four days ago we had our 29 week ultrasound. This ultrasound was a big deal since all week my doctor talked about sending me home if all was well. Our little girl was weighing in around 2 lbs 12 ounces. Doctor was happy with all measurements. My cervix however has shortened from 8 mm to 6 mm. Doctor said cervix is so soft he could push right through to my water bag. With that information he decided to keep me another three weeks. From there they will do another ultrasound and reevaluate. But he did grant me day passes which make a huge difference! Anytime I leave the hospital bed, other than washroom breaks, I am in a wheel chair but boy is it nice to be around other people, ride in a vehicle and enjoy the sunshine. Friday mom and me went to the mall on a little shopping trip. On saturday Danny, myself and some family went to the waterfront for fish and chips and yesterday Danny and I did a bit of baby shopping. My passes are only three hours long. Just enough time to spend some money! I booked the spa on Thursday for a massage, pedicure and a well needed haircut. I am allowed to sit up in bed now and once a week visits. So although I'm still here for the next three weeks it won't be like the last 6.
Neonatal team came back for a visit. Last time I seen them I was 23 weeks and circumstances were very different. They gave us a 90% chance of survival and 10% chance of long term disability if baby was born this week. They also gave us a tour of the nicu. Everyone was very kind and took the time to explain it all to us, answering any questions we had.
I am feeling much better and will breathe a lot better when 32 weeks comes and doctors feel the baby is "baked" enough for me to go home. I miss my bed almost as much as my husband.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I found you via onegoodembryo. I am so happy that you made it to this point in your pregnancy. I am a fellow Canadian, albeit on the opposite coast. I have lived Halifax for a winter and visited in the summer. I love it there. Nothing like east coast seafood. I was a 32 weeker and my baby brother 25 weeker. He is 27 now and you'd never know he was born so early. Will be thinking you at this time.
ReplyDelete-Siera
Teacher - You are doing great! Glad to hear that you can get out of your hospital room - even if it's just for a little bit. Keep baking little one, keep baking.
ReplyDeleteThanks Teacher for the update!! I think of you so often and am praying for you...
ReplyDeleteWay to hang in there girl! And....yay for some privileges! Those sound like some great trips! We're thinking of you, hoping you and baby are doing well!
ReplyDeletegreat job on keeping the baby 'baking' for this long. It must be incredibly tough being confined in the hospital for that long but it's a great sacrifice for you baby. you rock!!!
ReplyDelete