Saturday, July 14, 2012

35 weeks and still going.....

We are still here and were still pregnant. At my doctors appointment last Thursday the doctors could not believe I was still hanging on at 34 weeks. They lifted all restrictions including the dreaded wheelchair! In the last week I’ve tried not to do too much. I’ve been shopping a lot and cleaned out a few closets. I’m blaming the urge to purge on the nesting instinct. My mom went home for a bit as well…..so things feel…..normal. Most of the shopping has been for our nursery. It is just about done and when I get the last few things I will post some pics. She better be a girl or we will be buying a can of paint on the way home from the hospital. The room is pink and white and everything princess. It turned out really nice. We’ve been having some issues with our older dog and it breaks my heart. Colby is a seven year old lab who is very timid and fearful. If we didn’t get him as a puppy I would of thought he was abused. He stresses in any chaos, loud noises or if his schedule is changed in any way. For seven years it has been Danny and I. A quiet home with mainly adult visitors. Two years ago he was attacked by a neighbors’ dog, another male lab. Things began to change after that. He was always on the defensive around other male dogs, even small dogs. He became very vocal and I was uncomfortable walking him off leash at any parks due to his unpredictability with other animals. On new years eve this year a little boy went to give him a kiss and he lunged at him. We blamed it on the fact that the boy got in his face after being told not to. We have talked to our vet about this and he said that dogs his size (he’s 110 pounds) age a lot faster so his life expectancy is about 8 years old. He’s a senior before is time. He suggested training. This weekend our nephew J came to visit from Newfoundland. He’s a nine y ear old active boy who did not think twice about teasing our senior dog. While J was swimming Colby lay eyeing him on the deck. As soon as J’s foot touch the deck our dog took off after him. I mean ran with his hair up and everything. J jumped back into the pool. This happened four of five times before I put the dog in the backyard. I was shocked. The rest of the evening was no better. Boys from across the street came over to play with J which included a nerf gun fight throughout our house. It was loud and it was chaotic and Colby did not like it. He was jumping and barking at them and the kids were scared. I put him in the basemement until hubby came home and he calmed after that. For the rest of the weekend things seemed to be fine. Colby played with J outside, he tried to get up on the bed with him while he slept…. But as soon as J got into that pool he began barking and lunging again. My BIL told J to stay on the deck and not back down and Colby ran by him. Bizarre to say the least. So were headed back to the vet in a few days to discuss this issue again with our new baby on the way. Anyone else had to deal with something like this? I was up all night after that night stressing about what we were going to do with our beloved family member. I look forward to hear what the vet says. Again no paragraphs....sorry!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that all the restrictions are lifted and you are able to "enjoy" the last moments of this pregnancy. Can't wait to see photos of the nursery!

    As for the pup, I have no words of wisdom. We also have a 7 year old Lab, and my heart goes out to you. He's been getting a little more aggressive with people lately too. I'm hoping your vet can give you some wisdom. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for hanging on! You're so, so close!

    Looking forward to pics of the nursery. I bet it's dreamy!

    We have two labs and it's like they both have a sixth sense and dknow they were put on this earth to be guardian angels to "their" two babies. They lay quietly at the foot of the co-sleeper when it's nap time, hunker down on the floor when it's play time, and frequently come sniff the babies throughout the day to make sure they're ok. Even when it's bath time, there's always a puppy nose hanging over the tub!

    We'll be thinking of you these last couple weeks! Best of luck!

    The kids are learning that we need to "make nice on the puppies" with open hands and are starting to understand. The few times the babies have forgotten and grabbed a clump of hair in their fist, the dogs slowly glance back as if to say "Didn't Mom tell you that was a no, no?" Never with a growl or sudden movement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news on making 35 weeks. I'm sorry about your dog. I hope the vet has some ideas for you. I think if it were me, I would probably consider putting him down... but that is probably because of my nature. I'm quite anxious about my kids and if my dog was showing signs of aggression I'd be really concerned (which obviously you are). Hope it works out for you though...

    ReplyDelete