Saturday, April 28, 2012

On bed rest till delivery

The last week has been insane and i will post more later. On the weekend i was diagnosed with a kidney infection. After taking two days off to heal i went back to the doctors on tuesday for a follow up visit. The found that i have a shortened cervix. My cervix is where someone should be at 37 weeks. I am 24. I am now admitted to hospital, on strict bed rest (cant even stand up to shower) and have been showered with information on preterm labour. Doctors think the farthest i will make it is 30 weeks. There giving us a 50/50 chance of survival if she is born his week. I am overwhelmed and totally shocked. When i get my lap top i will post a longer version. Does anyone have any experience with a short cervix or incompetent cervix?

15 comments:

  1. You should check out another blog that I read "Bring on the Babies" http://www.bringonthebabies.com/. She is currently on modified bedrest for a shortened cervix. I know one person IRL who had this way back in the early 1970s - she lost one baby before she knew she had issues (no routine ultrasounds back then). In her subsequent pregnancies she was on bedrest and delivered early. Both children are all grown up (one a psychiatrist and one a teacher with kids of her own) and that was in the days when neonatal care was nowhere near as good as now. It must be so scary for you but I'm sure the medics will take good care of you and your bub. I'm glad you're at the start of viability - I know that the other blogger I mentioned is going to have steroid shots to mature her baby's lungs in case of early delivery. She has a week and a half to go to viability so you're at very similar places right now. Go see. Sending hugs and positive thoughts through the ether.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Teacher!! Sending you all my prayers!! I am going to post about you on my blog right now asking anyone who has experienced shortened cervix. I know of lots of mothers who are bloggers who have experienced it just can't name them off the top of my head. Will ask them to stop by your blog. Take care...and hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teacher,

    I am usually more of a lurker than poster.. but came across your link while looking up stuff (Tomorrow is my beta after repeated IVF fresh and frozen cycles). ANYWAY.. I have a history of recurrent pregnancy loss.. my high risk dr suspected about 7 years ago that I had incompetent cervix. I lost a set of twins at 19 weeks, a 15 week singleton... others that were younger.. ectopic loss, chemical pregnancies. ANYWAY.. In my second IVF attempt I conceived my son. I was watched VERY closely with my history.. and clearly, my cervix started changing early in my second trimester. At 24 weeks, a day after Christmas, I laughed so hard while playing a game with family (Would you Rather?).. that I am convinced I lost my plug. I saw it drop into the toilet and screamed for my dh. We went to the ER.. and before I knew it.. I was hospitalized for IC. I received steriods for the developing lungs and I stayed ALL THE WAY to 33.5 weeks. It was so hard being away from my husband and home (and pets)... but was reminded daily it would all be worth it! My son made it against all the odds.. spent 13 days in NICU and came home perfectly healthy. He is 6 years old and our miracle. DO WHATEVER THE DOCTOR SAYS AND DO STAY OFF YOUR FEET AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE! Stay well and take care of that precious miracle of yours. God bless. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. First time here. I came by via FOUND: One Good Embryo.
    Our experience with an incompetent cervix didn't end on a happy note, as I was fully effaced and had membranes bulging and 3 cm dilated by the time our issues were discovered. We attempted the full bed rest, 30ยบ angle, feet elevated, bed pan, sponge bath route. We were fortunate and gave it a solid 6 days before contractions took over and our angel had to move on at 20W2d. It's a very, very scary process to be suddenly stuck in bed and desperate for a miracle.

    We weren't expected to make it through the night, never mind 6 days, so even in itself, we defied some odds. But in the end, the choice wasn't ours to make.

    Keep positive, keep believing and have faith in your little miracle. She is special and she came to stay. Follow the doctors orders, keep praying and know that you have the prayers and support of people you've never met out there coming your way.

    I've known many babies that have come around 30 weeks and all are so incredibly healthy and normal and amazing. 6 weeks is a completely doable goal, but there's absolutely no harm in hoping for more. Be greedy.

    Good Luck

    Danielle
    www.hapellyeverafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came over from LisainSK's blog...:) Glad she could reach out for you.

    My first two IVFs also failed, but we found success on #3 with donor eggs. I went to the hospital late one night after some slight bleeding at 27 weeks...I wasn't sure I should go in, but my hubby urged me. Thank God he did because my son's foot and the amniotic sac were bulging through my cervix. I couldn't even feel it. The military hospital transferred to me to a hospital with a NICU and amazing doctor. She tucked his foot and the sac back up and gave me a cerclage. That's NOT standard practice, but it worked. I stayed in the hospital for six weeks. The first two weeks were on complete bedrest with no bathroom or shower privileges. My dignity went out the door, but I didn't care. I kept completely focused on following the doctor's orders and keeping very calm. I was able to go home onto bedrest for two weeks until I went into labor at 35 weeks. My doctor thought I would probably deliver within the first week of being in the hospital....but we were so happy to keep him baking for a few more weeks!

    I know how scary it is to be laying there in the hospital so worried about your kiddo. But you can do this. Stay in bed, drink your water, and pin up an ultrasound picture next to your bed. Will be thinking about you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    sorry to hear that. It will be hard but you will make it. I was put on on strict bed rest at home at 21 weeks. I was hospitalized 5 or 6 times if I remember correctly (it has been over 5 years). Last time the longest for a week till C. section. I was allowed 1 shower every 2 days but sometimes my contraction would be so bad I would not get up to take one for couple of days. My issue was preterm labor, I had contractions every 3-5 minutes. At some point I was put on medications (pill every 6 hours), version of what they gave me every time at the hospital in IV. Remember not to touch your belly. Here is US they do not believe so but perinatalogist from Europe would tell you not touch your belly because if you have irritable uterus it may cause contractions and shortening of the cervix. I had vaginal u/s to check the length of my cervix 3 times a week. My never got lower then 2 cm. What is your measurement? Did you get steroids for the baby's lungs? If not you need to demand it.
    If you have questions post in the comment section and I will email you.
    Good luck!
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, one more thing. I am not 100% sure because over the 5 years all the statistic I studied when out the window of my brain but I think what they mean by 50/50 chance at 30 weeks is, the baby has a 50/50 chance of having no issues (physical or mental) when born at 30 weeks. Survival rate at 30 weeks is much higher, especially after round or two of steroids. I know baby born at 26 weeks, she is bright, unbelievably smart, physically able to do anything. Only think is that she has glasses, nothing special in my book. I have them also and I was born full term.
    Also drink lots of water, even if it means using the bedpan more often.
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. My IC was discovered at 20 weeks (1.2mm). I had a rescue cerclage placed the next day. Went on complete bed rest at home (up to use restroom and shower every third day). I PPROM'ed at 26 weeks...made it to 28w3days before delivery.

    You've had the steroid series, right? Demand it if they haven't given it to you. Have they done a ffn test? There can be false positives from this test, but if it comes back negative, there is a strong chance you won't go into labor for at least two weeks.

    You can do this. It is not a picnic to be confined to a bed, but you can do it. Ask for the egg shell mattress pads for your bed. The hospital should have some sort of mattress pads or something to make you more comfortable. Have your husband bring a blanket and pillows from home for comfort. Set some goals for yourself and celebrate each day as the gift it is. (That is harder than it sounds sometimes.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FFN is Fetal Fibronectin test...had that before...

      Delete
  9. Hi, I came here by way of One Good Embryo, too.

    I am so sorry that your pregnancy has taken this turn and I know how stressed and worried you must be. You didn't say how short your cervix was and I am wondering, if even at 24 weeks they discussed doing an emergency cerclage. I had one placed at 16w6d when my cervix was both funneling at the internal OS and had shortened to 2.97 centimeters. I realize that that is much earlier than you are now, but I know someone who is currently pregnant who had an emergency cerclage placed at 24 weeks and is now on modified bed rest.

    At any rate, you are in the best place possible, the hospital, where they can care for, monitor, and support you. Do NOT look at it any way but one day at a time. You CAN do this. Do exactly what they request you do, ask as many questions as you need in order to feel like you are fully informed and take it one day at a time.

    Pulling for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never made it this far, but I can only imagine how nervous you must be. Be sure to follow your gut and take care of yourself and your baby. I'll say a little prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I discovered that I had IC at 22 weeks. Sac was bulging at 1.5 cm. After two days my MFM performed rescue cerclage. I was on strict bed rest for two weeks, modified bed rest for another four and then went back to work after that. I delivered at 37 weeks 2 days, two days after the cerclage was removed. My blog was waitingforwallis.blogspot.com. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found your blog via Lisa's blog. I was pregnant with twins and hospitalized due to a shortened cervix at about 28wks.

    At around 24wks my OB noticed my cervix was funneling but still long and closed. She did a fetal fibronectin swab at that appt and it was negative so that was reassuring. But at 27wks4days my cervix was found to be at 1.0cm (the Drs wanted >2.5cm). They sent me straight to the hospital for 4 days. I was also found to be 2cm dilated. The Dr's initially told me I'd be in the hospital for at least 2wks possibly until delivery but I ended up only staying 4 days. I did not show any other signs of pre-term labor. Another fetal fibronectin swab was negative, I wasn't having contractions, bleeding, etc. I did get both sets of steroid shots while in the hospital. I did get motrin around the clock to help keep my uterus calm. The Dr's took me off the motrin at least 24hrs before I was discharged to be sure the uterus was still calm without the motrin. ( I think though you can only be on motrin for a short period of time while pregnant). I did go home on modified bedrest (allowed to shower and get up for bathroom breaks) I think the bedrest really helped because when they checked the cervix a few days after discharge from the hospital it was at 2.5cm and the funnel looked smaller. The cervix was checked one last time at 32wks (only at my request and was 1.7cm) I remained on modified bedrest until a scheduled c-section at 37wks!

    Hang in there. I think the bedrest can really help!! I saw improvements with it :) and I wasn't on STRICT bedrest. I agree with the other posters- ask about the fetal fibronectin swab and steroid shots!! But I can't imagine this hasn't already been done!!?? Keep us updated. Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Teacher...you know I have been following you for a long time. I haven't had time to check-in and my heart skipped a beat when I read this news a moment ago. My thoughts, as always, are with you. Please, please, please little one...stay tucked-in nice and snuggly. We're all going to wish upon a star for you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was found to have IC at 21w5d with a 1.3 cervical length, 80%effaced 1-2 cm dilated and funneling of 7-8. I was admitted to hospital and pumped full of fluids for uterine irritability and had two rounds of betamethasone(for lung development) whilst on strict bedrest. No bathroom/shower and bed never to have less than 30 degrees of foot elevation. I did have contractions that would shorten the cervix but as they eased the cervix would lengthen again. No cerclage due to contractions. long story short I was on strict bedrest until 32 weeks in hospital and then had to schedule at c-section at 38 weeks. Keep your feet up and sleep with your feet elevated and drink more water than you think you need but get the steroid shots. you can have the shots now and again later if needed.

    ReplyDelete