Saturday, March 12, 2011

What are the chances.....

I have been patiently waiting to post my next posting. I want to apologize if my infertility girls read this. I just couldn't help it.

Last year I joined an infertility support group. I tend to deal better by connecting with others who have been through what I have and sharing my story with others. So it felt good to hear that others had gone through the same struggles that we were enduring. It felt good to talk about infertility till I was blue in the face and not feel guilty. It felt good to know they all had your back and you weren't going crazy. We were a group of 5. That is it but it was enough for me. Their strength inspired me. In knew through them that it was all okay and we'd get through it.

So this fall and winter all five of us went through treatments. Some had a frozen egg transfer, some did IVF and some a IUI. There was more than one treatment done by many of the girls. It took 6 month for the entire group to become pregnant except me. What are the chances of that?! That every woman in my infertility support group is pregnant but me. When does that ever happen? I am so happy and proud of them but I can't help but be a little stunned. Really?! Seriously?! All of them but me?

On the same note, I have a love hate relationship happening with Facebook these days. Living away from all my family and many of my dearest friends Facebook has given me the opportunity to connect with everyone on a consistent basis. I see pictures of friends and events that I can't attend and I have been able to connect with people that I haven't heard from or seen in years but it is almost always where I read the pregnancy announcements, where I see those beautiful newborn pictures or where I get the baby shower invites. I hate it! But I love it! I have sat countless times infront of my e-mail reading heartfelt e-mails from friends who are worried about me, who are going through the same thing as us or just the simple "I miss you" notes. But I have also sat infront of that computer reading wall posts of congrats, of status posts of "welcoming our newest addition", of baby showers pictures that I refused to attend. My computer is where I found out that all the girls from my infertility group are expecting, where I found out an old friend from home had a successful IUI on her first try and that 5 of my friends are expecting their first or second baby, many of them "lapping" me as we struggle for our first. And for some reason I just have to know. I can't walk away from the computer. I write my congrats and I may crack a smile infront of my computer screen but there is always a ache, a ping of jealousy, a thought "why can't that be me". I can't control it. I feel guilty for feeling it. For that I am so sorry to those I love who are living their dream. I am so very happy for you. It's just hard for me right now.

3 comments:

  1. (((Big Hugs Marnie))) I totally get what your saying. In order to cope with facebook I have hidden a few dear friends because I can't stand to see the weekly pictures and updates of their babies. I have faith that one day you will bring home your baby too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not alone...by far. We've been TTC for 5 years now (four failed IUIs, 3 IVFs, 3 m/c's, several surgeries to remove polyps - trust me, I've paid my dues).

    Last week my sister calls to tell me she's 13 weeks along with her second. My world crumbled for awhile. Bad enough my mom and dad both oggle over her first son - now I have to face it again.

    About this time last year I joined a message board with some other women who were cycling this past summer at the same clinic as me. Fast forward to today and all of them are pregnant except me - two women with twins! I have come to care very deeply for these women and could't be happier for them.

    No one should have to go through infertility, but
    there's no rhyme or reason.

    Hang in there....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just stumbled across your blog. I have deactivated my Facebook twice for the exact reason you mentioned above. This last time is lasting longer than my month stint in December since I closed it in February. It's beyond difficult when it feels like EVERYONE has something to share but you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete