So my brother got engaged last week.
We are all pretty happy! Another wedding to fret about. They set the date for August 27th. Great for me. That means that I'll be home not only for the wedding but for my mom's 61st birthday (can you believe it?!) Although I'm not standing..... i'm sure Drew will involve us somehow.
Drew has changed so much through the years. He once was a high tempered, unhappy child who couldn't stand having anyone touch him. Mom said that he was a fussy baby as well. The memories that I have of Drew while growing up are awkward, temper flaring tantrurms that often involved him becoming physical with me or my youngest brother Todd. He used bribes or threats to get us to play road hockey or baseball with him. I can remember having goalie pads strapped to my legs while he slapshoted (is that a real word?) me over and over again with the deal that he'd play my game after. I can't remember if he ever followed through or not.
Every sibling has their moments but I would of never thought after 30 years i'd consider him one of my biggest supports or best friend. He listens while I rant about sperm and eggs and masturbation in porno rooms in fertility clinics and needles in my vagina. If he can't talk when I call I often get a text apologizing and saying he'll call back when he has more time. The memories we have made as adults have been the ones that I cherish. I can count on him for anything. When announcing his engagement he called with many question on hand. We talked for 1.5, which is long in a man's world. During the conversation he told me that he knew now that we were going to both have a great year, with his wedding and our pregnancy.
So with this in mind, I am happy for my brother and my soon to be sister in law. I am looking forward to the wedding ciaos, the last minute details, the big smiles and tears and a great big party at the end of it. And all this with a great big pregnant belly.
No comments:
Post a Comment