Tuesday, September 28, 2010

And it begins....sort of.....

IVF #2 is on the horizon .  The naturalpath that I saw during my first IVF has recommended no alcohol, no caffeine, and wants me to start eating better three months prior to IVF.  This week is the beginning of our three months. Due to the success of our first IVF, I trust her.  She also did my acupuncture during our first cycle and will be doing it again for this one.  I have discovered that a lot of these things have turned into "bad" habits.  The glass of wine during dinner, the cup of tea when I wake up and the take out and more take out.  During my pregnancy I put on 15 pounds.  The doctors told me the more weight I put on the better the chances I had of carry them to full term.  So with a smile on my face I dove in.  And when 8 weeks came and I couldn't fit into my pants I patted myself on the back and dove in some more.  It was the first time in my life that I was excited at the sight of the scale rising.  But when I lost the babies the 15 pounds didn't go with them.  In those early months after the miscarriage I could only think of how to heal myself from this rather than how to get this weight off.  So now I sit four months later with that 15 pounds still on those hips of mine and want it gone before I begin IVF #2.   
Bad habits are hard to break.  I mean what is more enjoyable than the right restaurant, with the right atmosphere, with the right food and the right company.  I love to eat out.  But the 1200 calorie meal you would have made at home turns into a 3000 calorie meal or more.  Mmmmm but so good. 
With a great meal comes a great glass of wine.  Some of my most enjoyable evenings are sitting in the kitchen with Danny, making supper and sipping on a glass of wine (or bottle....depending!) and having great conversation.  Goodbye wine.  Hopefully I won't see your face again till next winter.  I also love my tea.  Aren't teachers suppose to drink tea? With there apple in the other hand?  I didn't always drink tea.  My classroom is so chilly in the winter that I needed something warm to get me through the day.  Hot chocolate seemed somewhat inappropriate for so early in the morning (really who would of cared?!) so I began to drink my tea.  I now have an electric kettle in my classroom for those days that I need that urgent cup.  This summer when it was 30+ degrees out I still drank that tea.  Cold beer vs. hot tea in 30 degree weather.....which one would you pick?  I have found some kind of comfort in a hot cup of tea.
The naturalpath is also recommending yoga.  Now I know some of you love yoga and I may to if I went more.  But seriously downward dog? warrior? serpent? What the?  I tried to go to yoga during our first IVF but man.....it was tough.  During the meditation piece I couldn't help but open my eyes just to check everyone else out.  Were they as bored as me? I wanted to feel that exhilaration when your blood is flowing and your heart is pounding.....wrong class.  I tried real hard not to fall asleep while we laid in the dark and the instructor told us to concentrate on our breathing.  I was tiered.  I had worked hard all day.  I didn't care about my breathing.  But i'm going to give downward dog another shot.  A good shot, a three times a week shot.  Hopefully I'll come to enjoy it like my tea, my wine and my eating out.
So it kinda begins.  The prep work.  I know it will be here before I know it.  I know that doing this makes me feel in control when I'm really not.  I'm prepared to let these little pleasures reside on the back burner for now.  And I will enjoy my decafe, my yoga and my fish and rice with a smile. 
I know that I am now ready for part II of this journey. However it may be.....

No comments:

Post a Comment