Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Plan, Plan, Plan!!

After a expensive 10 min. meeting with my RE in June we were advised that while we wait to save our money for IVF #2 we should try clomid again and do a few IUI.  Most people try a few IUI's before you jump into IVF.  Our reasoning for not doing IUI before IVF was that each IUI attempt is 300$ with a 60$ purchase of ovulation kits.  The success rates are lower than IVF so we put all our money into IVF in hopes of a better outcome. 
I went back on Clomid in July.  My dosage was higher than last time as well.  During the last 40 days I only ovulated once.  Which created a long drawn out process of waiting for that happy face to appear on the pee stick.  When it finally did after waiting a month and a half we went right to the clinic to do our first IUI.  Unforunately Danny's sample wasn't good enough.  In my desperate attempt, we did it anyways.  A wasted 300$?........maybe.  I was an example of desperation when I called the nurse back in tears explaining that we had waited more than a month for this and how could his sample be bad.  In hopes she had some explanation for our bodies betrayal. 
The procedure is quite simple and only took 10 min. at the most.  I could see why people would be attracted to it. No needles, no blood work, no internal ultrasounds.....its simply a physical.  After they ask you to lay down for twenty minutes....to let everything settle, was her words.  After she left the room, I swung myself up against the wall in hopes that gravity would play a role in fertilization.  Pant less with my legs up against the wall, a wonderful sight if anyone had walked into the room! My hopes are not high right now.
Hubby and me sat down this week to discuss a long term plan.  That is the thing with infertility you always have to be looking ahead.  Which is right down my alley.  We aren't going to do another IUI.  Not because I don't think it is possible but because i'd like to try IVF again in the winter.  So we are on a VERY strict budget in order to save ten thousand dollars by February.  This excites me and saddens me that all our savings are being eaten up by this.  But we get another shot! And I have time this time.  Time to put all my ducks in a line before IVF.  It will all begin again in December. 
Tonight we are headed to an adoption information session.  This appeals to me but the paper trail is 3 years long and then you go on a wait list.  I'm not sure if I'm going to want children anymore once I reach 40.  They gave us a 5-7 year wait time.  Unbelievable.  But I can't close any doors. 
All i'm waiting for is some good luck.  Where are you?? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment